Friday, November 20, 2009

Governor Henry Bellmon: "Statesman"

Governor Henry Bellmon: “Statesman”

I have to admit that I never had the pleasure of meeting Henry Bellmon. What little I do know of him comes from his reputation and what others have said about him. The thing that sticks in my mind the most is a statement that one of my very good friends, Jerry Gunkle from Eldorado, Oklahoma, always used to say, “Henry Bellmon was the only Republican I ever voted for.” Now, Jerry was a staunch Democrat, so there had to be some pretty compelling reasons that he would make such a statement. I also learned about Henry Bellmon from Facebook because a lot of people posted comments about him on the day of his passing.

In my younger years, I was not very politically active. I was too busy trying to be an Ag teacher and an Auctioneer while raising a family. So, not growing up as a political junkie, I just was not that engaged. But, the one thing that keeps coming to my mind is that Henry Bellmon was well thought of by lots of people, regardless of their political affiliation. This, I think, speaks volumes about who he was. I think, for most Oklahomans, the character of the man speaks louder than party affiliation. I think he truly cared about Oklahoma and was able to transcend the political clutter and noise and partisan bickering that we all seem to be so caught up in these days.

When I discuss politics with young people, the old teacher in me kicks in and I try to paint a picture with words so they can understand the two political ends of the spectrum. I have used the analogy many times of a pickup traveling down a country road. On the right, I had them visualize a Republican with a rope tied on to the right side mirror. On the left, a Democrat with an equally long rope, tied on to the left side. I told them to imagine each one pulling as hard as they could in their respective directions. In the process of the right pulling his way and the left pulling his way, that pickup, which I equate to the average Oklahoman, operates in the road and not in the bar ditch. I truly believe that most Oklahomans would rather operate in that road than in any ditch. It provides a balance of the two parties. The opposing pull, hopefully, will keep us out of either ditch.

From what I have read and heard about Henry Bellmon, he must have been somewhat of a centrist because many people from both sides liked him so much. It is interesting to note that he served as Governor from 1963 to 1967. In 1968, Oklahomans thought well enough of him to send him to Washington for two terms in the US Senate.

Bellmon then went back among the people, back to his agricultural roots, which he never truly left. There he resurfaced and a new generation of Oklahomans tapped him for the Governor’s post once again. He must have had widespread appeal. He obviously had public service in his blood to come back and sign on for another hitch.
I know that there are a few veterans out there that remember a time when he was not so popular. Bellmon was a veteran himself, so he had some credibility with that group, even if they disagreed. Bellmon must have been a lot like Ronald Reagan, in that both sides accepted him and he must have had tremendous leadership qualities. I think the one word that I have heard over and over that sums up this great Oklahoman is simply the word “Statesman”.

Thank you Governor Bellmon for your part in making Oklahoma a state we can be proud to call home.

If you would like to contact me, while I’m at the Capitol, please don’t hesitate to call
1-800-522-8502 or send an email to donarmes@okhouse.gov

And here’s a little something to think about as you do down the road:

Excellence is not a singular act, but a habit. You are what you repeatedly do.
-Shaquille O’ Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment