Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Drinking From a Fire Hose

Drinking From a Fire Hose

As week two of the legislative session wound down, probably the most often heard term that really fit this session so far is “drinking from a fire hose”. That really kinda aptly describes how this session feels. It seems like once you enter that building, the flow of information is unbelievable. I have said this many times but I believe and have witnessed that each session has its own personality. It seems like we have started lots of floor debate awfully early this year. Part of that seems to stem from a few members who have a lack of trust in the budget negotiations and want to question every appropriation shell bill. I think one of the problems is that we now have cameras in the chamber and there are some people that are apparently ‘outta somethin’ to do’ so they sit at home and watch what is going on in the House chamber on the internet, which you are welcome to do. Just go to: www.okhouse.gov and click to view the current video. Maybe you will find the arguments more interesting than I do. It sure has cut down on the nose picking, but I am not sure that we gained better government. In fact, I am of the opinion that it may take us forever to move at all. It is kinda like driving on a flat tire. You will eventually get there but you sure can’t get up much speed. I contend that cameras create actors and that the bigger audiences some people have, the more they want to show off. There is a time to debate and then there are times when debate doesn’t change anything.

Appropriation shell bills are simply a vehicle for each agency which receives funding that have to be passed and put in place and prepared to be filled with money. They are the bills that direct how the money should be used. I have not heard anybody come up with a better idea for how to do that but if you do not have the vehicles parked with instructions then when you get to the budget process, you have a problem. I really do not believe that it is a clandestine plot or anything sinister but it seems like we spent an entire afternoon arguing each one. So we have two ways to divvy up money. One of those ways is each individual shell bill. Another way is what we call a “GA” bill, which means “general appropriation”. I believe it is prudent to have both methods ready to go, especially when we are faced with having to backfill the underestimated budget hole that we have found ourselves in. I believe the quicker we can get rainy day money agreed upon and sent out, the quicker schools and other agencies will know what they are dealing with. So, while I respect other legislators’ right to debate issues, it seems like we sometimes bog down in those debates. We try to “reinvent the wheel” at every turn when, in reality, we probably do not change anything but argue for the sake of argument.

Again, back to those cameras. People argue that it opens access to the public, which I have no problem with. I believe that the public’s right to know is paramount. But, with every action there is a reaction. It feels like we have created a reality television show. Maybe it is the fact that I have spent a great deal of my career in front of a camera, so it just does not seem like that big of a deal to me. I have never been one of those guys that you have to drive a post beside to see if I am moving. I try to work pretty hard for the people who elected me. I believe that most of my constituents are busy enough that they really do not have the time or the desire to sit around and watch the proceedings. So, when it is time to stand up and debate or ask questions that really matter, I will be up. But, I will not be standing up for more camera time. I am actually pretty underwhelmed with politicians in general and I think that you just need to do what needs to be done and get on with it. Maybe after a few weeks we will work through the newness of this whole deal and get on with our work. By the time you read this, we will be well into week three and hopefully closer to having the rainy day issue figured out. Maybe all the new kids, and some old kids, will have gotten over this new camera thing and realize that most people are busy working and could care less how long the debate stretches out and that they just expect us to buckle down and get ‘er done.

If you would like to contact me while I am at the Capitol, please do not hesitate to call
1-800-522-8502 or send an e-mail to donarmes@okhouse.gov.

And here’s a little something to think about as you go down the road:

"In a democracy, making law is like making sausage. You may or may not love the final product, but the process for making both of them will probably make you sick."

No comments:

Post a Comment