Tuesday, December 21, 2010

It's Official, She's Done.

It seems like when you are raising children, your life hinges on life changing events usually tied to the child’s development. It seems like the first big step when they are first born is “if we can just get them to sleep all the way through the night”. To new parents, that is a big deal. For many, step two is “if we can just get them out of diapers”. Then it’s “if we can just get them out of daycare”. I want you to fast forward with the Armes’ family 22 years and it seems like the latest wish is “if we can just get her out of college”. Well, sports fans, we are there. Saturday, we watched our first born, Kathryne Leigh Armes, walk across the stage at Oklahoma State University and receive her degree in what is commonly called “HRAD” which is “hotel and restaurant administration”. Katy, aka ‘Katybob’, ‘Katycat’, also occasionally referred to as ‘drama queen’ is now officially a college graduate and I just cannot describe how proud I am for her to receive her degree and to be ready for the first chapter in her adult life. It is a huge milestone which certainly has not been without sacrifice. There have been several trips to Stillwater pulling a gooseneck stock trailer. But, all in all, I think it has been a very positive experience for all of us and mostly for her. She, like myself and many of you out there, had to work her way through and I am proud of my daughter’s work ethic because I know, like a lot of you do, that it takes a lot of work just to survive. To finally complete a goal like that is an extremely fulfilling milestone.

I know, as I write about this, that I am making it sound like college is the end. In reality, it is only the beginning. I do not believe for a minute that college is a guarantee to success but it is a huge door opener. I kind of think that a college degree in this new century will be equivalent to what a high school diploma was 30 or 40 years ago. There are still a great many unknowns as far as where this path will lead her but I do know that it will broaden her horizons, allow her to see the world from a little higher perch, and it will still be up to her whether she is successful or not but I think she is in a pretty good place to start that journey.

I know it may sound like I am bragging a little and that is certainly not my intent. But, as a public official, our lives are somewhat of an open book so I just thought that I would take a moment to share with my constituents, friends and neighbors, kind of where we are in the Armes’ family saga. I know that I am only half way home because little sister Kelsey has about a year and a half before she heads somewhere to get her education. So, it will only be a brief financial rest, and in a flash, Dede and I will be empty nesters. If you have little ones still in diapers or still hanging in there on the Santa Clause Deal, my advice is to enjoy every precious moment because in the blink of an eye, your babies will be grown and headed out into the world to seek their fortune. For now, as we head into this Christmas season, we are counting our blessings and are extremely proud of Katy for achieving this monumental milestone. Now, “if she can just get a job”.

If you would like to contact me while I am at the Capitol, please do not hesitate to call
1-800-522-8502 or send an e-mail to donarmes@okhouse.gov.

And here’s a little something to think about as you go down the road:
“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” -Wiliam Butler Yeats

No comments:

Post a Comment