Thursday, January 13, 2011

Inaguration Day with a Strange Twist

This past Monday, Dede and I attended Governor Fallin’s inauguration at the Capitol. It was almost as cold and damp and snowy as the weathermen had predicted, but everyone just bundled up, hunkered down and got it done. It was a very nice ceremony, full of all the things you would expect, all the pageantry, all the dignitaries, all the normal things that you would expect to see in an event such as that with one notable exception, the flags were at half staff. The reason was the very recent shootings in Arizona where Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords along with 19 other people were shot at a town meeting. I have to say, I have been to many events around the Capitol and other places where the Governor or members of Congress or other people like that were in attendance and I cannot say that I have ever been afraid. I was not afraid at this event but as I set with other House members and Senators, you could not help but notice the snipers on the roof of the historical society and the Jim Thorpe building as well as the extra uniformed troopers and the plain clothed security detail, many in dark glasses. You could not help but get the feeling that they were not there by accident. You never know in this day and time when tragedy can strike. Actually, you would expect it more at something like an inauguration than you would at a simple town meeting. I cannot say the feeling was of fear but I could help but be just a little uneasy since all the state leaders were sitting ducks. But, I will bet my bottom dollar that every two story house within view of the Capitol grounds had already been scrubbed.

It is really hard to imagine what short circuit would have to snap in someone’s brain to make them want to shoot people like the gunman in Arizona. Who knows what his motivation was or even if he got all the targets he had intended, we may never know. What we do know is that there was a senseless loss of life and a Congresswoman who may never be the same and a little girl born on 9/11 whose parents will grieve for the rest of their days the loss of their precious daughter. The shooter had someone in mind and thank goodness for some quick thinking individuals around him who were able to subdue the man and disarm him before he could kill even more people.

I have to say that I was a little bit relieved when the closing prayer wound down and Toby Keith performed “An American Soldier” just because I knew that once it was over we would be back in the building and plus, my toes had about had all they could stand. All in all, it was a great ceremony and congratulations to now Governor Mary Fallin, Lieutenant Governor Todd Lamb, and a big congratulations to our neighbor, State Auditor Gary Jones. We have a tough year ahead with a slate of great leaders to get us through. The sun will shine again on the great state of Oklahoma. It was awesome to be a part of history even with that little slight uneasy feeling. It was a great day to be a public servant in Oklahoma.

If you would like to contact me while I am at the Capitol, please do not hesitate to call
1-800-522-8502 or send an e-mail to donarmes@okhouse.gov.

And here’s a little something to think about as you go down the road:
“For some moments in life there are no words”. ~David Seltzer

No comments:

Post a Comment