Tuesday, May 17, 2011

If It Rains On Easter

Like most of you, I grew up here in Southwest Oklahoma. I have met a good many colorful, old timers with lots of sayins’. Some I can repeat, some I can’t. We have all heard “it’s gonna rain if a turtle is crossing the road” and “if a hurricane hits Brownsville, Texas, the moisture will catch us in Comanche County”. Most recently, I heard one that I had not heard in a long time “if it rains on Easter Sunday, it will rain for seven Sundays in a row”. The catch seems to be so far, how much is it going to rain? It is crazy to think that where I live, between Lawton and Faxon, we look like the Australian Outback, still feeding hay and protein, trying to hang on to cows that should probably already be gone. Just 20 minutes southeast in Cotton County, they seem to be in “rain alley”. I think the last spell that went through, they got something like four inches. For some reason, we cannot buy more than a shower for any amount of money. We have ponds that are in jeopardy which have never gone dry before. I even have a little spring on my place that I noticed Sunday had quit seeping. Plus, the extreme high temperatures and hot wind are just making the problem even worse. So far though, the saying has held true. We have had a little shot of rain the last 2 Sundays since Easter but it has not been measurable. It is going to take a big one, at least in our corner of the world, to turn this thing around. I know that it will come, I just wish I knew when.

Meanwhile, back at the Capitol, Monday afternoon, we voted the House redistricting map out of conference committee. There will be some drastic changes in far western Oklahoma where Representative Purcy Walker’s district will basically disappear and will move into Canadian County. Nobody including Representative Walker really wanted that but with him terming out next year, it seemed the logical place to make the move. While I hate to see it, the Constitution is pretty specific on what needs to happen and for the remaining Representatives to be able to gather up enough population to hit the magic number which is 37,000 plus or minus 3 percent. It became pretty clear to those of us on the committee that there may not be a good alternative. My contention is that Representative Purcy Walker will be remembered for the extremely good person that he is and how well he cared for the people of western Oklahoma, not only in his district, but as a good solid rural Representative for all of western Oklahoma. Purcy Walker is just plain good people and about as nice a guy as I have ever met. I think long after the district lines are redrawn and fade into the western Oklahoma landscape, those that he served will always remember that some politicians really are good people. I think he is disappointed as are a lot of us but again, the Constitution is pretty specific and those rural districts had to grow to meet the guidelines. The good news for my particular constituents is that I was able to keep almost everyone and more specifically, Tillman County will remain intact and that was pretty important to me to keep some continuity in that area.

We are winding down this year’s session and I have to say, as bad as I hate to wish my life away, I am ready to get this one over. Coming back home may be tough if it does not rain because it will be a lot of work no matter what. But, I am ready to hang up the coat and tie and get back into some work clothes. Three weeks and counting…

“Timing has everything to do with the success of a rain dance.” –Cowboy Poet Baxter Black

No comments:

Post a Comment