Monday, June 20, 2011

The Dog Days May Be Here Already

It is the middle of June but it sure seems like August. We have had enough rain to stay alive but certainly not enough to survive until late summer. I am really hopeful that I will not have to sell some cows. The four plus inches of rain that we received a few weeks ago bought us some time but it did not get us out of the woods. Typically if you look at the rain patterns in Southwestern Oklahoma in prior years, we have had some rainy Fourth of July time and sometimes we can catch some during the Lawton Rangers Rodeo. That seems to be either/or but when there is a dome of high pressure sitting on us like what we have right now, it sure does not look very promising where moisture is concerned. I have a friend in Missouri who griping about how muddy it was and I think I would like to try that. The wheat crop was nearly non-existent for many. Thank goodness for insurance and risk management. It will be interesting to see if we get a stand of cotton or not. I have not been over to Altus but I have heard that the irrigation district only has enough water in the lake for about one watering in what is probably the best cotton ground in Oklahoma. If their water is that limited, it could even be a major wreck for Jackson County. We will have to pray as hard as we can because it is going to take more than just a cotton shower to get us out of this drought.

All is not doom and gloom at the Armes’ place. One of the bright spots this summer was that my youngest daughter Kelsey just got home from Washington D.C. along with many other FFA members who made their way to the nation’s Capitol for the FFA Washington Leadership Conference. She said she even got to see the President. It was funny when she sent us a text and said “Obama drove by and waved at us. If it would have been George Strait it might have been cool”. I told her “Kelsey, that is the President of the United States”. She and the other kids from across the state went and had a great time and it ended up being a good, educational trip, which I knew it would be. She had moaned and groaned about not wanting to go but as we watched her Facebook posts and read her texts, it wasn’t long until she didn’t want to come back home.

Like most years, we have some short trips to see family and things like that. We hope to spend a week or two at the lake and there is, of course, the big Fourth of July weekend coming up. It has really been tough this year to get recovered from session. I think I am feeling everyone of my almost 50 years. I was in my early 40’s when I started and I guess, a lot more resilient.

I appreciate all the feedback on last week’s column. I had several calls and e-mails about the Jerome Ersland case. I think a lot of people agree that there was not anything right about it.

Until next week, keep praying for the good soaking rain and remember, hot summers are just kind of how we roll. Do not let it keep you from enjoying your family or cooking a few burgers on the grill because we are Southwest Oklahomans and we are tougher than most. We can take the heat.

If you would like to contact me while I am at the capitol, please do not hesitate to send an email to donarmes@house.gov or call me at 1-800-522-8502.

And here’s a little something to think about as you go down the road:

“Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it.” -Russel Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment