Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Can they win?


Can they win?

I know that I promised you a discussion of the state questions and that will be coming before long.  But, quite honestly, I have to do a little research on two or three of those just to make sure that I fully understand and can give you the best read I can.  I know some of you couldn’t give a flood nickel to what I think and there are others out there who do value my views from inside the process.  So we will talk more about those soon.

For now, I have to tell you a little experience I had Tuesday morning right before I wrote this article.  I’m voting for Romney...period… end of story.  I’ve been a Republican for a long time and I think most of the basic philosophy suits my moderately conservative nature or closely.  I’m not convinced that the Romney/ Ryan Team can win this election.  It’s been somewhat of a joke around Oklahoma at local coffee shops when Obama comes up somebody will almost always say, “I can’t find anyone who voted for him.” 

I put a simple post on Facebook Tuesday morning that was the headline from the Boston Globe that said “U.S. Gas Prices at Highest Ever for Labor Day Weekend” and showed a gas pump handle and asked the question “Are you better off?”  It’s a Mitt Romney ad and was interesting to see the comments come rolling in.  A bunch of my “friends” on Facebook really got fired up.  Of course, the ones that agreed were staunched and firm in their position that Obama had to go.  I was probably more surprised by the people who stepped out publically in that forum and supported him. 

I think the public reality is that President Obama is incumbent.  I know from being involved in politics for the last 10 years that an incumbent is very hard to unseat.  I think that people are afraid of anything new to use a school analogy. It’s like when a bunch of junior high kids have an ole’ battle ax for a teacher and they sit around the lunch table and say, “I wish miss ole’ so and so would retire.”  Almost every time they will say, “Yeah, but her replacement might be worse.”  I think the poll numbers show that the country is somewhat dissatisfied with President Obama, but I’m here to tell ya’ unseating an  incumbent will be an uphill battle, especially given that we had so much voter apathy.  I saw it in my recent primary and I’ve seen it hundreds of times across the country.  People want to gripe but they don’t want to vote.   I don’t hate Barack Obama.  I don’t think he has been a good president and I don’t think he or his cronies are who we need in charge of this country.  I think if he has his way Oklahoma will lose a ton of military jobs.   I think if the Republican Party has a major flaw, it may be we hate too much.  I don’t think you have to hate a person to disagree.   I think this country is extremely polarized and it will become much worse before the November election.  My hope and prayer is that Romney wins, but I won’t be shocked if he doesn’t… just disappointed

If you would like to contact me at the Capitol, please do not hesitate to call -800-522-8502 or email me at donarmes@okhouse.gov

 

And here’s something to think about as you go down the road:

“Politics is too serious of a matter to be left to the politicians. Charles de Gaulle

 

No comments:

Post a Comment