Tuesday, January 26, 2010

3...2...1...Blast Off!

3...2...1...Blast Off!

As a former teacher, I always had that little bit of dread toward the impending start of school. I loved what I was doing and was always looking forward to a new crop of kids but always kinda hated to see summer end. Even as a young person, I worked pretty hard but the start of school always meant less fishing and less time to do fun things, just kinda back to the grind. Session is no different. The life of a legislator is usually busy even when we are not at the capitol but at least you are home most every night and you do have a certain degree of flexibility and you do not have to rely on others to tend livestock, etc. So, while part of me is anxious to “suit up”, the other part might rather have poison ivy. It is very unlikely that this session will be very much fun. All the policy changes that we will attempt will be overshadowed by the looming budget crisis as we attempt to stabilize state government.

On Monday morning as I was writing this article, I had just gotten off a House Leadership conference call with the Speaker and I fully expect that we will move swiftly to attempt to stabilize the budget. None the less, we will still have policy issues to take up. Here is a little preview of some of the bills that I will author that will attempt to make, what I hope are, some positive moves where state law is concerned.

First, is a bill that I may need your help with, House Bill 3209. This is a request from the Oklahoma county sheriff and, in essence, what this bill would attempt to do is provide law enforcement with additional information during a traffic stop or any other encounter with citizens. Most law enforcement agencies are equipped with laptop computers in their units and what this bill would do would be to provide a picture of the person, much like what is already on your driver’s license so that officer can make sure that the person is who they say they are. Interestingly enough, I have received a ton of e-mails on this particular measure, mostly from the Tulsa area, saying that this is an intrusion on privacy as well as generally just a bad idea. The e-mails have been extremely pointed and accusatory and I believe mostly from the extreme right. In fact, some have been downright ugly. Now remember this was a request from a law enforcement agency. It is not something that I dreamed up on my own, but a bill I was asked to carry. Now my cowboy logic litmus test that I always try to put an idea through says that this makes sense and may help keep our law enforcement agents safer. If police stop “John” and let’s say “John” is an outlaw and maybe he stole his brother “Joe’s” driver’s license. The officer can pull “Joe” up on the computer and see if he is who he says he is or not. Now remember OKC bomber Timothy McVeigh was nabbed on a traffic stop. My thought is that if you are not doing anything wrong, what do you have to hide? It may be that some out there would disagree with me and it is definitely open for discussion. I am not married to the issue and, as I said, most of the e-mails seem to be coming from Tulsa. I do not represent Tulsa. I represent you here in Southwest Oklahoma and your opinion matters more to me than the opinions in Tulsa. I remember the senseless tragedy of Trooper Nik Green and we all mourned with that family at the loss of a really good man and a wonderful Christian father. Could this bill have prevented that? Maybe not. But, if it gives our law enforcement officers an additional layer of protection, it might possibly be a good thing. I also want to be sensitive to the other side and their argument against giving up personal freedom. That is a big deal with me also. But, again, I do not rob banks or pursue illegal activities so I really feel that I have nothing to hide. So, I would like to hear from you. Send us an e-mail if you have an opinion.

Another issue that may not be near as contentious will allow the Oklahoma Wheat Commission to be able to purchase needed items for their operation without going through state purchasing. They are a very small agency with just two or three employees and a very limited budget and it would allow them flexibility to make smaller purchases without being overly regulated which ends up costing them more money. Wheat is one of our largest cash crops in Oklahoma agriculture and our commission does a good job. If we can help streamline their operation, it makes sense. We hope we can help offer them some help.

Of course, there is the monster that just will not seem to go away, House Bill 3202. That bill simply makes the act of equine dentistry an act of an animal husbandry, not veterinary medicine, exactly like your ferrier. That one will be ugly and will make statewide news, but I believe we are right and I will not be letting up.

So, stay tuned because in just a few short days, the chute gate opens and it is game on.

If you would like to contact me while I am at the capitol, please do not hesitate to send an email to donarmes@house.gov or call me at 1-800-522-8502.

And here’s a little something to think about as you go down the road:

“Truth is not always popular, but it is always right.” -Unknown

1 comment:

  1. As a Tulsa area resident, I think the police should be able to verify a persons identity using an electronic picture. My only question is, isn't the picture on the drivers license good enough or do we issue that many licenses without pictures. And if we do shouldn't that be addressed rather than creating more costs?

    ReplyDelete