Thursday, December 29, 2011

GET ON OUTTA’ HERE

As we approach 2012 we see the turning of a page and the start of a new year. It seems like every year at this time we always look forward to a new year but I have to admit that when I hit that half century mark at my last birthday I kind of hesitate rushing the calendar. It seems like 50 got here pretty quick and I sure don’t’ want to hurry too fast toward 60. I have to say this year has been a tough rascal in a lot of ways and I don’t care if we see another drought like we experienced last year. As always, I try to stay optimistic and hopeful that a new year provides new opportunities and hopefully some better weather scenarios and a chance to get back to some semblance of normal, whatever that means. It’s a time when people make resolutions and plans to do things better or different or to make improvements in their personal lives or their jobs or their family situations or a host of other things that just need tweaked or changed or improved upon. One thing that may look better as we approach the New Year is that the State’s budget may have improved a notch or two. We’re by no means flush with cash but the economy has improved and although the Governor and State Treasurer are cautiously optimistic it does give us some hope that we can maintain and not make other budget cuts. Sometimes you measure success in inches instead of miles. This year may be an “inches” kind of year but at least we are going in the right direction. Another positive that we haven’t seen in a while is simply water. I made a run into North Texas last week to meet my sister and swap gifts that had to go South and one thing I noticed as I crossed the Red River, there was a lot of water standing.

They seem to have some wheat pasture just like we do but their tanks still need to catch some runoff (they call them tanks in Texas instead of ponds). Up here we have ponds and down there they have tanks, I’ve never quite figured that out but that’s another article. It’s no different than here at home. There is wheat pasture and some moisture and it does give you hope. That’s the point of this weeks article, that there is hope, there is always hope. Another old saying that I like is “that which does not kill us makes us stronger.” I think in a lot of ways we’ve been tempered by the heat figuratively and in a lot of real ways too. We come out of tough times tougher.
That’s just how it is.

I think the holiday season for me is a chance to step off the treadmill for a day or two and recharge and kind of reevaluate where I am. There’s plenty of hustle and bustle and activity but the focus is a little different and it does give us a moment to step back and broaden the view finder and maybe look at the big picture and I know that little bit of time always helps me, especially as I prepare to shift gears and head toward session in February and the realignment that has to occur in the Armes’ household for me to do what I do as a State Representative.

There were definitely some bright spots in the past year. We got our oldest daughter Katy out of college at OSU and she is now gainfully employed. We did make it through the drought and managed to hang on to a handful of cows. Our youngest daughter Kelsey is a senior in high school. She’s the president of the Cache FFA and has been accepted to OSU and is extremely excited about the next chapter in her life and for the most part we’re healthy and employed. So 2011 wasn’t a total wreck by any means but it had some pretty sizeable speed bumps, the kind that can do some damage to the old suspension system but nothing that can’t be repaired with a little elbow grease, a couple gallons of optimism and the right set of tools. So 2011, get on outta’ here and don’t let the door hit ya’ in the rear. 2012, come on in here and let’s get to work.

If you would like to contact me at the Capitol, please do not hesitate to call 1-800-522-8502 or email me at donarmes@okhouse.gov

And here’s a little something to think about as you go down the road:
Once you choose hope, anything's possible. ~Christopher Reeve

No comments:

Post a Comment